WCHS Eyewitness News Home Charleston Eyewitness Newsroom Charleston Storm Team Weather Sports News TV Program Schedule Community Mobile-Cellphone and PDA Get Connected SMS Text Facebook Twitter RSS News Feed Email List Tumblr

WVU, MU Both Lose Away From Home

January 25, 2014

EYEWITNESS ONLINE WEBCAST VIDEO
C L I C K   T O   P L A Y

(Associated Press)
STILLWATER, Okla. -- Marcus Smart had one of the worst games of his career, yet Oklahoma State still found a way to win.

Le'Bryan Nash scored a career-high 29 points and had nine rebounds to help the 11th-ranked Cowboys beat West Virginia 81-75 on Saturday.

Smart, a sophomore guard who entered the game as the Big 12's leading scorer, finished with a season-low five points on 1-for-7 shooting and played just 25 minutes before fouling out. West Virginia's game plan was to bring the contact to Smart.

"He likes to be physical, so you have to be physical back," West Virginia guard Juwan Staten said. "Try to get in his head a little bit, try to get him to commit some fouls he doesn't want to commit, try to get him in foul trouble. That's what we did."

Smart was visibly upset throughout the game and spent much of his playing time picking himself up off the ground.

"I think he did get a little frustrated, and I'm anxious to see if it was justified," Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford said.

Nash, a 6-foot-7 wing, picked up the slack. He was 10 of 13 from the field for the Cowboys (16-3, 4-2 Big 12), who swept the season series with the Mountaineers.

"It's just my teammates getting me shots in the right place," he said. "I'm right under the basket, and when they dump it off, I'm going up strong. That's what it is."

West Virginia coach Bob Huggins said Nash's outburst was no surprise.

"I saw him in high school, and I knew how good he was," Huggins said. "He's been terrific all year. I think he's probably the hardest guard in our league. He can bounce it. If you let him catch it inside of 15 feet, he's got a great chance to score."

Markel Brown had 15 points and 10 rebounds and Phil Forte added 13 points for Oklahoma State, which now can focus on a showdown at No. 25 Oklahoma on Monday.

"It's Bedlam," Nash said. "It don't get no better than this. It's two good teams. We're going into their house. We really want to win. We've got to give it to Oklahoma, they've got some good wins, and it's going to be tough."

Eron Harris scored 21 points and Staten added 19 for the Mountaineers (11-9, 3-4), who have lost four of five.

There were 56 fouls, 66 free throws and six players fouled out. Oklahoma State made just 4 of 24 3-point attempts and was outrebounded 41-35, but held the Mountaineers to 37 percent shooting.

Smart scored his first points on two free throws with 10:42 left in the first half.

West Virginia led 25-18 in the first half when Smart picked up his second foul, but Oklahoma State rallied without him. A three-point play by Nash sparked a run, and the Cowboys tied the game at 26 on two free throws by Brown with 6:15 left in the first half. Another three-point play by Nash gave Oklahoma State the lead with 3:45 left in the first half.

The Cowboys finished the half with a flurry. Brown threw down a monster two-handed putback dunk with 18 seconds left. Forte then stole the ball and, while lying on the ground under pressure, found Nash under the basket for a thunderous reverse jam to give the Cowboys a 42-35 lead. Nash had 18 points and seven rebounds in the first half.

Harris picked up his fourth foul with just over 15 minutes remaining and West Virginia leading 46-44.

Brown's near 360-degree dunk ignited the crowd and tied the score with just under 14 minutes remaining.

"I have a great set of athletic ability, and it would be a shame to waste it and not do something for the crowd," he said. "I feel like they come to the game to see things like that, so I had to give it to them. It's a great sparkplug to this team."

Smart found Nash with a behind-the-head pass for a basket and a foul, and Nash's free throw gave Oklahoma State a 66-60 lead with 7:11 to play.

Harris made a 3-pointer to cut Oklahoma State's lead to 70-67, but on OSU's next possession, Brown attacked the rim and scored while drawing Harris' fifth foul with 3:35 to go. A three-point play by Brian Williams with 2:01 remaining gave the Cowboys a 75-67 lead.

Nash fouled out with 1:40 to go, and West Virginia rallied one last time. The Mountaineers could have tied it in the final minute, but Nathan Adrian missed a 3-pointer. Forte made 6 of 6 free throws in the final 37 seconds to seal the win for the Cowboys.

West Virginia felt it missed an opportunity with Smart out of the lineup so much.

"We knew that if we could get him in foul trouble in the first half and slow him down that we'd have a pretty good chance of winning this game," Staten said. "We executed our plan, there were just a couple key moments that we didn't really execute on that cost us."

RUSTON, La. -- Alex Hamilton scored 24 points and Kenyon McNeail added 22 as Louisiana Tech routed Marshall 98-77 on Saturday night.

The Bulldogs (17-4, 5-1 Conference USA) raced to a 17-2 lead en route to scoring 57 first-half points and winning their ninth game out of their last 10. All five of Louisiana Tech's conference wins have been by at least 20 points.

Louisiana Tech shot 52.2 percent from the field. Kenneth Smith and Jaron Johnson each scored 17 points. Smith also had 13 assists. Hamilton was 10 of 18 from the field while Johnson was 8 of 11 and McNeail was 7 of 11.

Ryan Taylor led Marshall (7-14, 1-5) with 17 points and 11 assists. The Thundering Herd committed 22 turnovers.

MORE SPORTS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS

WV Power PPD For Tuesday
April 15, 2014
Eyewitness Sports Photo
Read Sports Story-Watch Sports Video

Adrian Arrested For DUI
April 15, 2014
Eyewitness Sports Photo

D'Antoni Being Courted By Marshall
April 15, 2014
Eyewitness Sports Photo

Sports News Power Clips Tourists
April 14, 2014    Watch Video
Sports News Bussie Drafted By Lynx
April 14, 2014
Sports News Gyorko Signs Extension With Padres
April 14, 2014
Sports News Bubba Does It Again
April 13, 2014    Watch Video
Sports News WVU Wraps Up Spring Football
April 12, 2014    Watch Video
Sports News Gold Blue Preps
April 11, 2014    Watch Video
Sports News Power Loses Home Opener
April 10, 2014    Watch Video
Sports News WVSSAC Approves Extended Summer Period
April 9, 2014
Sports News D'Antoni Could Be Out As Lakers Coach
April 9, 2014
Sports News Marshall Softball Gets 600th Win
April 9, 2014
Sports News Canty Wanting To Leave Marshall
April 9, 2014
Sports News Herd Beats EKU, WVU Loses 4th Straight
April 8, 2014
Sports News WVU To Upgrade Football Facilities
April 8, 2014
Sports News Marshall Beats FAU Again, WVU Swept By TCU
April 5, 2014
Sports News WVU Rolls Into Charleston
April 5, 2014
Sports News Herd Wins, WVU Falls Late To TCU
April 4, 2014
Sports News Huntington Prep Falls In National Semis
April 4, 2014
Sports News Morton To Interview With Marshall Saturday
April 4, 2014
Sports News Capital Classic Set for Sunday Dec 14th
April 4, 2014
Sports News WV Power Releases 2014 Roster
April 1, 2014
Sports News Peterson Making Waves At VMI
April 1, 2014    Watch Video
Sports News Elmore Biding Time With VMI
March 31, 2014    Watch Video
Sports News Sports Recap 3-30-14
March 30, 2014    Watch Video
Sports News West Liberty Comes Up Short
March 29, 2014    Watch Video
Sports News WVU, MU Both Win With Walkoffs
March 28, 2014    Watch Video
Sports News Sports Recap 3-27-14
March 27, 2014    Watch Video
Sports News McGinnis Retires
March 27, 2014    Watch Video
Sports News The Return Of Rouse; MU Player Gets 6th Season
March 26, 2014    Watch Video
Sports News Saying By In Bayou, WVU Women Lose To LSU
March 26, 2014
Sports News Harris Says So Long To Morgantown
March 25, 2014    Watch Video

Fugitive Files
Wanted: Apr. 15, 2014 You Can Help!
Fugitive Fugitive Fugitive Seen them? Call 888-720-TIPS
Details about these Fugitives

Behind The Kitchen Door
April 11, 2014
Mid-East Market Inc.,Charleston; Little Creek Country Club, South Charleston makes the list. Find out who has violations and who gets the Clean Kitchen Award!
Story and Video

W.Va. Wildlife Wednesdays at 6 PM on Eyewitness News

Send Mail Send email to sports@wchstv.com for information or comments concerning WCHS-TV Eyewitness Sports.
Copyright ©2014, WCHS-TV8. Portions are Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.

WCHS ABC 8 provides local news, weather forecasts, traffic updates, notices of events and items of interest in the community, sports and entertainment programming for Charleston and nearby towns and communities in the Tri-State area, including Huntington, Dunbar, Marmet, Montgomery, Nitro, South Charleston, St. Albans, Cedar Grove, Chesapeake, Clendenin, East Bank, Glasgow, Pratt, Cross Lanes, Elkview, Pinch, Sissonville, Big Chimney, Cabin Creek, Chelyan, Davis Creek, Institute, Jefferson, Loudendale, Mink Shoals, Pocatalico, Quick, Quincy, Rand, Buffalo, Eleanor, Hurricane, Nitro, Poca, Winfield, Culloden, Fraziers Bottom, Hometown, Red House, Scott Depot, Teays Valley, Danville, Madison, Hamlin, Logan, Chapmanville, Man, Delbarton, Kermit, Gilbert, Matewan, Williamson, Summersville, Richwood, Flatwoods, Gassaway, Sutton, Spencer, Ravenswood, Ripley, Mason, Point Pleasant, Ashland, Pikeville, Ironton, Portsmouth, Gallipolis, and Athens.