EYEWITNESS SPORTSCommitte Will Have A Little Luck
from Eyewitness News Online
Reported by: Mark Martin/Mike Fragale
Videographer: A.J. Good
October 16, 2013
IRVING, Texas - When it comes to deciding playoff teams for college football in the future, there will be West Virginia flavor among those making decisions.
Bill Hancock, executive director of the College Football Playoff, today announced the members of the committee that will select the four teams to compete in the first playoff. The 13 members were unanimously chosen by the College Football Playoff Management Committee, the commissioners of the conferences overseeing the new playoff.
WVU athletic director Oliver Luck, a former Mountaineer standout at quarterback, will be a member of the committee.
The playoff will begin at the end of the 2014 season.
In aggregate, the selection committee members have roughly 230 years of experience in college football. The group includes 10 people who played college football (Luck), two former top-level university administrators, five current athletics directors (Luck), three members of the College Football Hall of Fame,
three former college football head coaches, a former United States Secretary of State, a former member of Congress, and a retired three-star general.
In addition, the group includes a Rhodes Scholar, two Academic All-Americans (Luck being one), three Phi Beta Kappa graduates, and a retired journalist who won numerous awards as a reporter. Collectively the group has 26 degrees of higher learning, including eight master's degrees, two law degrees, and two doctoral degrees.
"We wanted people of the highest integrity for this committee, and we got them. Every one of them has vast football knowledge, excellent judgment, dedication and love for this game," said Bill Hancock, executive director of the College Football Playoff. "They will no doubt have one of the hardest jobs in sports. But their skills and wide variety of experiences from coaches and athletes to university leaders and journalists will ensure that they will be successful. And they are committed to investing the time and effort necessary for this endeavor. We are grateful that they will be serving this terrific game of college football."
The members of the selection committee are:
• Jeff Long, vice chancellor and director of athletics, University of Arkansas-Fayetteville, Chair
• Barry Alvarez, director of athletics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
• Lieutenant General Mike Gould, former superintendent of the United States Air Force Academy
• Pat Haden, director of athletics, University of Southern California
• Tom Jernstedt, former NCAA executive vice president
• Oliver Luck, director of athletics, West Virginia University
• Archie Manning, former University of Mississippi quarterback and all-pro NFL quarterback
• Tom Osborne, former head coach and director of athletics, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
• Dan Radakovich, director of athletics, Clemson University
• Condoleezza Rice, Stanford University professor, former Stanford provost and former United States Secretary of State
• Mike Tranghese, former commissioner of the Big East Conference
• Steve Wieberg, former college football reporter, USA Today
• Tyrone Willingham, former head coach of three FBS institutions
Send email to email@example.com for information or comments concerning WCHS-TV Eyewitness Sports.
Copyright ©2014, WCHS-TV8. Portions are Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.
WCHS ABC 8 provides local news, weather forecasts, traffic updates, notices of events and items of interest in the community, sports and entertainment programming for Charleston and nearby towns and communities in the Tri-State area, including Huntington, Dunbar, Marmet, Montgomery, Nitro, South Charleston, St. Albans, Cedar Grove, Chesapeake, Clendenin, East Bank, Glasgow, Pratt, Cross Lanes, Elkview, Pinch, Sissonville, Big Chimney, Cabin Creek, Chelyan, Davis Creek, Institute, Jefferson, Loudendale, Mink Shoals, Pocatalico, Quick, Quincy, Rand, Buffalo, Eleanor, Hurricane, Nitro, Poca, Winfield, Culloden, Fraziers Bottom, Hometown, Red House, Scott Depot, Teays Valley, Danville, Madison, Hamlin, Logan, Chapmanville, Man, Delbarton, Kermit, Gilbert, Matewan, Williamson, Summersville, Richwood, Flatwoods, Gassaway, Sutton, Spencer, Ravenswood, Ripley, Mason, Point Pleasant, Ashland, Pikeville, Ironton, Portsmouth, Gallipolis, and Athens.