EYEWITNESS LOCAL NEWSLogan House Was Doused With Gasoline, Set On Fire While Family Slept
from Eyewitness News Online
Reported: May. 29, 2014 1:14 PM EDT
Updated: May. 29, 2014 10:42 PM EDT
LOGAN COUNTY, W.Va. (Katy Brown) -- It was certainly a terrifying morning on Wednesday for one couple as they woke up to flames right outside their bedroom window. And now, police need your help to find the person or persons responsible.
A home on Peach Creek Road in Logan was doused with gasoline and set on fire with a family inside.
Sunshine Brumfield owns the home and said it was a close call for her loved ones.
"The people were actually asleep inside, when whoever it was sprayed gasoline on the back of the house, lit it up," Logan Fire Chief Scott Beckett said.
The Logan City Fire Department responded to the call around 6 a.m.
Brian Blecher, who lives two houses down, called 911.
"The smoke was pretty bad and the flames were as high. They were over the house," Blecher said.
While Brumfield wasn't staying there, some family members were. The fire started at the back door, and destroyed the bedroom where Brumfield's family was sleeping.
"The people who did it poured the gas on the wall right behind my bed," Brumfield said. "They knew where I sleep at, and it scared me to death."
Firefighters said the sound of the flames flaring up actually woke up those in the home. Everyone made it out safely, including the family dog.
"If that hadn't woke them up, then they would've seriously faced issues with carbon monoxide, smoke inhalation, because there weren't any smoke alarms in the structure," Beckett said.
Brumfield said she learned a precious lesson as the homeowner, and said the family is buying smoke detectors for the home, but she also hopes those responsible for the fire learn theirs as well.
"I think they should go to jail for arson and attempted murder for two people," Brumfield said.
The fire marshal's office has ruled the Logan County fire as an arson.
Anyone with information is asked to call State Police or the arson hotline at 1-800-233-FIRE.
LOGAN, W.Va. (Jeff Morris) – Logan firefighters said someone sprayed a home on Peach Creek Road with gasoline and set it on fire while a family and their pets were sleeping inside.
The fire resulted in an explosion that woke the family up, and they were able to escape the home, firefighters said. Firefighters were able to rescue the family pets.
West Virginia state fire marshals have ruled the blaze was arson.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the West Virginia State Police Logan detachment at 792-7200 or the arson hotline at 1-800-233-FIRE.
MORE NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS
Send email to email@example.com for information or comments concerning WCHS-TV Eyewitness News.
Copyright ©2014, WCHS-TV8. Portions are Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.
WCHS ABC 8 provides local news, weather forecasts, traffic updates, notices of events and items of interest in the community, sports and entertainment programming for Charleston and nearby towns and communities in the Tri-State area, including Huntington, Dunbar, Marmet, Montgomery, Nitro, South Charleston, St. Albans, Cedar Grove, Chesapeake, Clendenin, East Bank, Glasgow, Pratt, Cross Lanes, Elkview, Pinch, Sissonville, Big Chimney, Cabin Creek, Chelyan, Davis Creek, Institute, Jefferson, Loudendale, Mink Shoals, Pocatalico, Quick, Quincy, Rand, Buffalo, Eleanor, Hurricane, Nitro, Poca, Winfield, Culloden, Fraziers Bottom, Hometown, Red House, Scott Depot, Teays Valley, Danville, Madison, Hamlin, Logan, Chapmanville, Man, Delbarton, Kermit, Gilbert, Matewan, Williamson, Summersville, Richwood, Flatwoods, Gassaway, Sutton, Spencer, Ravenswood, Ripley, Mason, Point Pleasant, Ashland, Pikeville, Ironton, Portsmouth, Gallipolis, and Athens.