EYEWITNESS LOCAL NEWSFirefighters Say Woman Dies In Logan County Mobile Home Fire
from Eyewitness News Online
Reported: May. 4, 2014 9:50 AM EDT
Updated: May. 4, 2014 11:08 PM EDT
LOGAN, W.Va. (Katy Brown) -- A woman is dead and a mobile home on South Joe Alley in the Logan area is in ruins after an early morning fire on Sunday.
Firefighters said Mary Bryant, 57, was killed in the blaze.
Flames broke out at about 6 a.m. Sunday. When crews got on scene, smoke and flames filled the building.
"The information we were getting - possibly an out building, possibly a trailer," Chief Scott Beckett, of Logan Fire Department, said. "We didn't have any report of anybody inside, didn't have any reports of anybody living in the residence."
Crews battled the flames for close to 30 minutes, with most of flames coming for the middle of the home.
Once the smoke cleared, firefighters found Bryant in her bedroom. They don't suspect any foul play, but believe the fire is accidental.
West Virginia State Fire Marshals think Bryant and her dog feel asleep in the bedroom, and she forgot to turn of the stove before going to bed.
Fire crews said they did not hear any smoke detectors going off and while investigating and couldn't find a single smoke alarm in the house.
"The last two fires, we've had fatalities in we couldn't find any smoke alarms," Beckett said. "That early warning could have made a difference."
According to the US Fire Administration, six percent of homes don't have smoke detectors installed. And 40 percent of all fires happen in those homes.
For Bryant, firefighters said while it may not have changed the circumstances, the early warning could have helped.
And because of that, Beckett warned everyone to check their smoke detectors.
"Make sure you got smoke alarms in your bedrooms, in your kitchens, in all areas on all floors of your house," he said. "They're inexpensive and they definitely do save lives."
Beckett said any home with kids or elderly living there especially need a detector.
If you don't not have a detector in your home, it's best to install one before it's too late.
Mount Gay, W.Va. (Mamie Buoy) - A woman is dead after flames tore through her Logan County home.
The fire happened at a mobile home on South Joe Alley Road in Mount Gay around 6:00 a.m Sunday.
Firefighters said Mary Bryant, 57, was the only person in the home when the fire broke out. She died from her injuries. Her name is not being released at this time.
At this time, it is not clear what started the fire, but investigators say it appears to have started in the middle of the trailer. They also say there were no working smoke detectors inside the home.
We have a crew headed to the scene. Stay tuned to Eyewitness News for more information.
MORE NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS
Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org for information or comments concerning WCHS-TV Eyewitness News.
Copyright ©2014, WCHS-TV8. Portions are Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.
WCHS ABC 8 provides local news, weather forecasts, traffic updates, notices of events and items of interest in the community, sports and entertainment programming for Charleston and nearby towns and communities in the Tri-State area, including Huntington, Dunbar, Marmet, Montgomery, Nitro, South Charleston, St. Albans, Cedar Grove, Chesapeake, Clendenin, East Bank, Glasgow, Pratt, Cross Lanes, Elkview, Pinch, Sissonville, Big Chimney, Cabin Creek, Chelyan, Davis Creek, Institute, Jefferson, Loudendale, Mink Shoals, Pocatalico, Quick, Quincy, Rand, Buffalo, Eleanor, Hurricane, Nitro, Poca, Winfield, Culloden, Fraziers Bottom, Hometown, Red House, Scott Depot, Teays Valley, Danville, Madison, Hamlin, Logan, Chapmanville, Man, Delbarton, Kermit, Gilbert, Matewan, Williamson, Summersville, Richwood, Flatwoods, Gassaway, Sutton, Spencer, Ravenswood, Ripley, Mason, Point Pleasant, Ashland, Pikeville, Ironton, Portsmouth, Gallipolis, and Athens.