EYEWITNESS LOCAL NEWSLincoln County Residents To Vote On School Excess Levy
from Eyewitness News Online
Reported by: Jeff Morris
Web Producer: Jeff Morris
Reported: Nov. 13, 2013 11:07 AM EST
Updated: Nov. 13, 2013 11:27 AM EST
Hamlin , Lincoln County , West Virginia
Lincoln County voters will go to the polls Saturday to vote on a school excess levy.
Polls will be open from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
A county school system spokeswoman said the five-year levy would provide a total of $17.5 million for county schools, or $3.5 million a year. The spokeswoman said this would be continuation of an existing levy that Lincoln County has had for 65 years.
The levy would provide funding for:
* Continuation of the professional personnel and service personnel salary supplement.
* Continuing to furnish all students with free instructional supplies and equipment.
* School libraries and related technology.
* Lincoln County Public Libraries.
* Continue the payment of a pension to Lincoln County retired employees.
* Maintenance materials and custodial supplies.
* Transportation costs.
* Extra-curricular services.
* Teachers to purchase classroom supplies.
* Employees’ benefits package that includes dental, optical, and long term disability.
* Maintenance, upgrading, and supplemental support of county technology plans.
* Lincoln County 4H.
* Capital improvement, purchase of property or payment of debt.
* Professional development for professional and service employees.
* Operation of summer school and after school instructional programs.
Lincoln County Assessor Joshua Brumfield said he has fielded lots of calls from voters about how the excess levy rate, along with corrected property valuations, would affect future taxes.
Click here to see the information that Brumfield put together about effects of the
MORE NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS
Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org for information or comments concerning WCHS-TV Eyewitness News.
Copyright ©2014, WCHS-TV8. Portions are Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.
WCHS ABC 8 provides local news, weather forecasts, traffic updates, notices of events and items of interest in the community, sports and entertainment programming for Charleston and nearby towns and communities in the Tri-State area, including Huntington, Dunbar, Marmet, Montgomery, Nitro, South Charleston, St. Albans, Cedar Grove, Chesapeake, Clendenin, East Bank, Glasgow, Pratt, Cross Lanes, Elkview, Pinch, Sissonville, Big Chimney, Cabin Creek, Chelyan, Davis Creek, Institute, Jefferson, Loudendale, Mink Shoals, Pocatalico, Quick, Quincy, Rand, Buffalo, Eleanor, Hurricane, Nitro, Poca, Winfield, Culloden, Fraziers Bottom, Hometown, Red House, Scott Depot, Teays Valley, Danville, Madison, Hamlin, Logan, Chapmanville, Man, Delbarton, Kermit, Gilbert, Matewan, Williamson, Summersville, Richwood, Flatwoods, Gassaway, Sutton, Spencer, Ravenswood, Ripley, Mason, Point Pleasant, Ashland, Pikeville, Ironton, Portsmouth, Gallipolis, and Athens.