EYEWITNESS LOCAL NEWSRIVERSIDE HEALTH WORRIES
from Eyewitness News Online
Parents Are Worried About Mold And Carbon Monoxide At Riverside High School
Reported by: Ashley Smith
Videographer: Brad Rice
Web Producer: Jeff Morris
Reported: Oct. 12, 2012 5:36 PM EDT
Updated: Oct. 12, 2012 9:54 PM EDT
Quincy , Kanawha County , West Virginia
Several parents of Riverside High School students contacted Eyewitness News to voice their concerns about the safety of the school.
“What actions are they taking to clean it up?” said Shannon Hudnall, a concerned parent. “When are they going to remove it?”
These are just a few of Hudnall’s unanswered questions about safety concerns that she believes could be affecting her son. Her son is a student at Riverside High School in Quincy.
“I think they're not doing enough to protect the kids in that building,” Hudnall said.
Hudnall said her son comes home from school tired and ill nearly every day.
“When he comes home, he is very tired, has a headache and just doesn’t feel good at all,” Hudnall said.
Hudnall said she heard the heating unit at the school was leaking carbon monoxide. Not only that, she said there is mold in the school because of a leaky roof.
Eyewitness News spoke to the principal about these issues. Valery Harper said the school has had problems with the heating unit.
“It's (the heating unit) cracked,” Harper said. “If we turn our heat on, it will bring carbon monoxide into the building, so we haven't had heat on all year.”
School officials discovered the problem in August when the heating and cooling system was tested. Harper said since then, they have not used the heating unit, which is separate from the cooling system. In other words, carbon monoxide has not been leaking since then. She acknowledges they don’t know how long it was leaking before Aug. 6.
As for the mold, Harper said that was a minor issue.
“We have had a tile up here in the stairwell that did have mold on it for several weeks, and it was removed Tuesday,” Harper said.
As a precaution, the air quality in the school was tested to determine in the mold or the carbon monoxide levels were high.
“We wanted to make sure the mold is normal,” Harper said, “so we had an air quality test conducted. They're within normal ranges.”
This weekend all four heating units will be replaced. If all goes well, the heat will work in time for the students to return next week.
Harper adds that to get the furnace fixed in time for colder weather, the school board had to approve using $200,000 from the emergency fund.
MORE NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS
2012 NEWS: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Home | Eyewitness News Newsroom | Storm Team Weather | Eyewitness Sports | Schedules
Send email to email@example.com for information or comments concerning WCHS-TV Eyewitness News.
Copyright ©2013, WCHS-TV8. Portions are
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.