EYEWITNESS LOCAL NEWSHONORING OUR VETERANS
from Eyewitness News Online
Traveling War Memorials To Visit Kentucky
Reported by: Bethany Simmons
Web Producer: Bethany Simmons
Reported: Aug. 23, 2012 11:41 AM EDT
Updated: Aug. 23, 2012 12:27 PM EDT
Grayson , Kentucky
A collection of traveling war memorials will make its way to Grayson, Ky., later this month.
The American Veterans Traveling Tribute and Traveling Wall will be escorted into town and set up at Kentucky Christian University next week, according to a news release from the exhibitors. The public may view the memorial 24 hours a day beginning at noon Aug. 30 until 4 p.m. Sept. 3.
The memorials will be set up to allow people the opportunity to honor, respect and remember the brave men and women who have served America, and to help give closure to those who served in Vietnam.
The mobile tribute features a centerpiece that is an 80 percent scale replica of the Vietnam Wall in Washington, D.C. The Wall is 8 feet tall at the apex and is 380 feet long, only 20 percent smaller than The Wall in Washington, D.C., and includes all of the names engraved just like the original in the nation’s capital.
Other memorials and exhibits included as part of the event are as follows:
* The Cost of Freedom Memorial: A series of standup exhibits created in gold dog tags that record the names of those who gave their lives for our freedom during present day Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
* 9/11 Memorials: A standup exhibit to make sure "we never forget." Each name is recorded according to the location of the solider at the time of the tragedy.
* Walk of Heroes: A series of standups that pay tribute and provide educational information regarding our country's history, as well as conflicts America was involved in to ensure our freedom. Freedom did not come free and these tributes represent the true cost of freedom as paid in lives.
* Tribute Panel: Anyone can purchase a custom-inscribed dog tag to place on our tribute panel. This Tribute panel travels the USA with all other exhibits.
* 1980-2000: A standup display with the listing of the names, photos and information on all the conflicts our country has been involved in from 1980 to 2000.
* World War II: To assure all living veterans are honored, the American Veterans Traveling Tribute and Traveling Wall presents displays of pictures and information, which includes timelines and casualty by country standup displays to pay specific tribute to WWII veterans.
* Korean War: A pictorial display of the men who fought the forgotten war along with battle maps and the war timeline.
MORE NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS
2012 NEWS: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Home | Eyewitness News Newsroom | Storm Team Weather | Eyewitness Sports | Schedules
Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org for information or comments concerning WCHS-TV Eyewitness News.
Copyright ©2013, WCHS-TV8. Portions are
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.